Tomato & Basil Bruschetta is a delicious and mouth watering Italian appetizer made from fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic drizzled with olive oil & vinegar. It is a quick and easy recipe made from fresh and simple ingredients.
Toppings for bruschetta
Bruschetta comes from the Italian word ‘bruscare’ which means “to roast over coals.” In its simplest form, Bruschetta requires that bread be toasted over real coals or grilled, then rubbed down with slices of raw garlic, drizzled with olive oil and finished with a little bit of sea salt and fresh pepper.
Variations may include adding toppings of tomato, olives, vegetables, beans, cured meat, basil, onion, mozzarella or cheese. The most commonly served recipes definitely include basil, tomatoes.
Choosing the correct ingredients
The right type of bread and tomatoes play an important role in the making of this dish. You should typically use thick slices of a good rustic bread like French baguette or Italian bread. For best results, the tomatoes should be fully ripe, red and juicy.
You should serve bruschetta immediately after preparing it, otherwise the bread will become soggy. If preparing for a party or gathering, you can serve the toasted bread and tomato mixture separately and let people top it themselves.
While Bruschetta is usually served as a snack or appetizer, it can also be paired with green salad or a bowl of soup to get a perfect light meal. Although it can be enjoyed during any time of the year, it’s refreshing flavors make it especially popular in the summer months.
To make Tomato & Basil Bruschetta at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Tomato & Basil Bruschetta Recipe
Ingredients For Tomato & Basil Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 Baguette French Bread or Italian Bread
- 5-6 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Basil Leaves
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional)
Step By Step Instructions for Tomato & Basil Bruschetta Recipe
- Dice tomatoes and add them to a mixing bowl. Make sure to choose ripe juicy tomatoes.5-6 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- Add thinly sliced leaves of fresh Italian basil.1/3 Cup Chopped Basil Leaves
- Also add some minced garlic to the bowl.2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, black pepper powder and salt.1 Teaspoon Olive Oil, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients well and let the mixture sit for an hour on the countertop or in the refrigerator, if you have the time. This allows for the all the flavors to blend together.
- Slice a French baguette or an Italian bread diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.1 Baguette French Bread or Italian Bread
- Brush the bread slices with butter or olive oil. Optionally, you can also add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to the butter or oil before brushing it on the bread.1 Tablespoon Butter (optional), 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional)
- Toast or bake the bread slices till they are crispy and golden brown.
- Spoon the tomato mixture generously over the toasted bread slices and serve immediately.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Tomato & Basil Bruschetta Recipe”
Can this be made ahead of time and kept in jar in refrigerator?
You can prepare the topping and refrigerate in advance. Can skip adding salt though otherwise the tomatoes would leave too much water.