Besan Toast is quick and easy snack made by shallow frying bread dipped in a spicy besan (chickpea flour) batter. It can be topped with vegetables like onion, tomato, capsicum or any other ones of your choice.
Besan toast is a very popular snack and tastes quite similar to Bread Pakora. It is however low in fat & oil as it is shallow fried, and thus is a relatively healthier alternative to deep fried Bread Pakora or Bread Bhajji.
Although the dish is mostly made with white bread, you can also use whole grain or multi-grain bread to make it healthier.
The toast is made in the same manner as French Toast and is a nice alternative for vegetarians. While it has similar texture as French Toast, the resemblance ends there as it has totally different taste which is dominated by shallow fried Besan.
Besan Toast can be made as a quick evening snack or as a light breakfast when you are looking for a break from routine monotonous food in breakfast. It tastes best when served hot with Green Chutney or Tomato Ketchup.
To make Besan Toast at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo Bread Pakora
- Bread Rolls
- Mayonnaise Sandwich
- French Toast
- Besan Cheela
- Tomato & Basil Bruschetta
- Vada Pav
Besan Toast Recipe | Spicy Chickpea Flour & Bread Toast
Ingredients For Besan Toast Recipe | Spicy Chickpea Flour & Bread Toast
- 4 Slices of Bread
- 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 Small Onion
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/3 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2-3 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Besan Toast Recipe | Spicy Chickpea Flour & Bread Toast
- Take besan (chickpea flour) in a mixing bowl.1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- Add around 1/3 cup of water to make a batter of thick pouring consistency. Take care to remove all the lumps.
- Add grated ginger and finely chopped onions to the mixture.1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1 Small Onion
- Also add some chopped coriander leaves.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
- Then add salt, red chilli powder, garam masala, garlic powder, turmeric powder (haldi), chaat masala, green chilli, and heeng (asafoetida).1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/3 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng), 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Cut the bread slices into triangles and dip them in the batter to coat on all sides.4 Slices of Bread
- Heat a skillet or a pan and pour a few drops of oil on it. Place the bread on the pan and cook on a medium heat. Flip the bread when the lower side is done.2-3 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- When both sides are cooked, remove the bread from the pan and place it on an absorbent paper. Masala toast is ready. Serve it with some tomato ketchup or green coriander chutney.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.