Bread Upma is a traditional South Indian recipe. It is a savory and tangy dish which can be served as a Breakfast or as a quick fix meal.
Bread Upma is made by cooking bread pieces in a spicy tempering made of chillies, onions, tomatoes, fresh curry leaves and mild spice powders. The dish tastes really delicious as the bread pieces soak up all the masala.
While bread upma is originally a south Indian dish, in last few decades, it has gained wider acceptance and liking in other parts too. It is traditionally served as breakfast but there is no bar enjoying it at any other time of the day.
Bread upma is frequently prepared as a breakfast in India. Use of bread makes this dish more interesting for adults and children alike.
This dish can also be packed in tiffin box for school going children who may find this savory dish more attractive than traditional Upma.
To make Bread Upma at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Bread Upma Recipe
Ingredients For Bread Upma Recipe
- 6 Slices Bread
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 8-10 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- ⅛ Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- ⅓ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- ½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1-2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Bread Upma Recipe
- Heat some oil in a pan or kadai. Add some rai (mustard seeds) to it and let them splutter.1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- Then add some cumin seeds (jeera) to it and fry till they start to crackle. Also add a pinch of asafoetida.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), ⅛ Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- Add finely chopped onions to the pan and fry them till they turn light golden brown.1 Small Onion
- Then add a few curry leaves and fry them for a few seconds.8-10 Curry Leaves (Kari Patta)
- Then add ginger-garlic paste along with finely chopped green chillies and fry them till they are cooked.2-3 Garlic Cloves, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1 Green Chilli
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook them till they become soft.1 Large Tomato
- Now add salt, turmeric powder (haldi) and red chilli powder to the pan..⅓ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), ½ Teaspoon Salt, ½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Cut bread slices into small square pieces and add them to the pan. I have used brown bread here, but you can use any bread you like.6 Slices Bread
- Mix everything and coat the bread with the masala completely. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle some lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves on top. Mix everything well.1-2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice, ½ Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- Bread Upma is ready. Serve it hot for breakfast or enjoy it as a snack at any time of the day.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.