Rava Upma or Suji Upma is a simple, easy to cook and healthy breakfast made from roasted suji (also known as rava or semolina).
It is originally a South Indian dish but in last two decades has gained wide acceptance and liking in other parts of the country as well.
It is traditionally served as breakfast, but can also be enjoyed as a healthy snack option in between meals or during any other part of the day.
It’s a quick fix meal and perfectly suitable to pack for kids lunch box to school as well as a bachelor friendly dish being easy and fast to cook. It is a tasty, wholesome and comforting food for people of all age groups.
The semolina can be roasted in advance and stored in an airtight container. This way it is readily available to use while cooking.
To roast semolina, add it to a heated pan and stir for 4-5 minutes till it becomes crisp and light brown in color.
To make Rava Upma at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Rava Upma Recipe | Suji Upma
Ingredients For Rava Upma Recipe | Suji Upma
- 1 Cup Roasted Suji/ Semolina
- 2.5 Cups of Water
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Peanuts
- 1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 5-10 Curry Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Rai / Mustard Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas)
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentils)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
Step By Step Instructions for Rava Upma Recipe | Suji Upma
- Heat oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds to it.1 Teaspoon Rai / Mustard Seeds
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add 1 teaspoon Chana Dal & Urad Dal.1 Teaspoon Chana Dal (Split Chickpeas), 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Lentils)
- Add 1/2 a cup of peanuts and roast them. The Chana Dal and Urad Dal will also get roasted along with the peanuts.2 Tablespoon Peanuts
- Then add 5-10 Curry Leaves along with 1-2 finely chopped Green Chillies.5-10 Curry Leaves, 1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- Also add 1 small finely chopped onion and fry it till it turns golden brown or translucent.1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- Add 2.5 cups of water to the pan along with 1 teaspoon Salt & 1 teaspoon lemon juice and bring it to a boil. Turn the heat setting to low and add the roasted semolina to the mixture.2.5 Cups of Water, 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1 Cup Roasted Suji/ Semolina
- Keep stirring the mixture continuously as it thickens.
- Turn off the flame when the water has been absorbed and let it sit for 5 minutes. Rava upma is ready. Serve it hot as is or along with coconut chutney.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.