Aloo Poha or Kanda Batata Poha is a delicious, simple and mildly spicy breakfast made from Poha (flattened rice flakes) along with Onion (Kanda) and Potato (Batata).
Poha is extremely popular as a breakfast dish in Western Indian states of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and some parts of Rajasthan.
It can be made in many varieties and flavors by adding one or more items like onions, potatoes, tomatoes, bread, peas, other vegetables etc.
Kanda Batata Poha is a variety of Poha owing its origin to Maharashtra and made by adding onions and potato to Poha. This delicious, healthy & light dish can be made very quickly. It is good option for breakfast if you have a busy schedule or are looking for less oily breakfast recipes.
Poha is a easily digestible food and being rich in carbohydrates provides enough energy. Poha is also a good source of dietary iron. This dish is beneficial for pregnant women and children due to its iron content. Poha is also low in gluten.
To make Aloo Poha or Kanda Batata Poha at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Aloo Poha Recipe | Kanda Batata Poha | Potato Poha
Ingredients For Aloo Poha Recipe | Kanda Batata Poha | Potato Poha
- 2 Cups Poha (Flattened Rice), thick variety
- 1 Large Potato
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Green Chilies
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Poha Recipe | Kanda Batata Poha | Potato Poha
- Wash Poha thoroughly. Then drain all the water and leave it to dry out for 5-10 mins.2 Cups Poha (Flattened Rice), thick variety
- After 10 mins, add red chilli powder and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Mix the spices lightly with a fork or with your hand, separating them in the process as poha tends to stick together. Do not use too much force otherwise the poha will become mushy.
- Roast peanuts in a pan. Be careful that they do not burn. You can also roast the peanuts in a microwave oven. Set the roasted peanuts aside.1/2 Cup Peanuts
- Heat oil in a pan and add the diced potato cubes in it.1 Tablespoon Oil, 1 Large Potato
- Stir them till they become crispy and golden brown.
- Place the potatoes on an absorbent paper and set them aside.
- Now heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan. Add rai (mustard seeds) and wait till they start to crackle.1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- When the rai (mustard seeds) have stopped crackling, add curry leaves (curry leaves) & green chillies. Saute for 1/2 minute.4-5 Curry Leaves, 2 Green Chilies
- Now add finely chopped onions and fry for 1 min till the onions have turned soft and golden brown in color.1 Large Onion
- Add sugar, haldi (turmeric powder), chaat masala and salt.1/4 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1 Teaspoon Sugar, 1/2 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Then add the fried pieces of potato and roasted peanuts.
- Now add the poha (mixed with spices) to the pan. Mix lightly to coat the poha in masala. Again, do not apply a lot of force while mixing.
- Steam the poha for 2-3 min on low flame or low heat. After this remove from heat but don't open lid for another 3-4 min.
- Sprinkle the kanda batata poha with few drops of lemon juice. Garnish the poha with coriander leaves, cut green chillies and onion.1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Kanda Batata Poha is ready. Serve it hot. You can also add some spicy namkeen mixture or bhujiya sev for some extra crunch and flavor.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Aloo Poha Recipe | Kanda Batata Poha | Potato Poha”