Mix veg curry is made by cooking a mixture of vegetables together in a traditional Indian onion-tomato gravy. The dish is characterized by multiple flavors due to the addition of many vegetables which also makes it quite nutritious.
Mixed veg is served in almost all Indian restaurants. The restaurant version of this dish is slightly heavy and creamy. But you can also make a light, colorful and healthy mix veg curry at home with minimal spices.
Choosing vegetables for mix veg curry
There is considerable flexibility in choosing the vegetables to be added. It can include seasonal vegetables and common vegetables like capsicum, cabbage, cauliflower, french beans, peas, carrots, potato, tomato, onion etc.
I have first shallow fried vegetables and then added them to the gravy. You can also cook all of them together for a healthier variation.
There are several other dishes which are equally healthy, similar in composition and are very unique in their taste. These recipes are a great way to use up leftover vegetables in your house.
- Mix veg kofta – vegetable dumplings in onion-tomato gravy
- Pav Bhaji – tangy spicy mix veg curry
- Annakoot sabzi – special dish prepared for diwali
To make Mix Veg Curry at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Try other popular Indian curry recipes:
- Malai Kofta – fried paneer dumplings in gravy
- Dry Kadai Paneer – dry version of kadai paneer
- Dum Aloo – slow cooked baby potatoes in spicy gravy
- Paneer Tikka Masala – marinated & grilled paneer in gravy
- Stuffed Tomato – paneer stuffed tomatoes in gravy
Suggested Recipe Collections :
- Indian Vegetarian Curries | A collection of 29 Indian Gravy Recipes
- Dry Vegetable Recipes | 15 Indian Sabzi Recipes | Sookhi Subzi
- Potato Recipes | 31 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Mix Veg Curry Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Cauliflower
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Chopped French Beans
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Capsicum (Green Bell Peppers)
- 1/4 Cup Green Peas
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- ~1 inch piece of Ginger
- 8-10 Cashews
- 2 Tablespoons Cream or 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Mix Veg Curry Recipe
First roast some cashews (in oil or without it) and set them aside.
Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a pan and add chopped potatoes & carrots to it. Shallow fry them for a couple of minutes till they start to turn light golden-brown in color and get crisp on the edges.
Then add cauliflower florets and chopped french beans to the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes.
Add Green Peas and chopped Capsicum. These are added in the end, since they take the least amount of time to cook.
Fry the vegetables till they are all cooked, but do not overcook them otherwise they will turn mushy. Then remove the cooked vegetables from the pan and set them aside.
Heat a little oil in the pan. You can use any oil leftover from the previous step as well. Add Cumin Seeds and fry them till they start to splutter.
Now add chopped onions along with ginger, garlic and green chillies.
Fry them till onions turn golden brown or translucent.
Then add 2 chopped tomatoes to the pan.
Fry till the tomatoes are cooked and turn mushy. Then let the mixture cool.
Add the onion-tomato gravy to a grinder or food processor along with the roasted cashews. Grind the mixture to a smooth puree and add it back to the pan.
Now add Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala and Salt to the gravy.
Roast the gravy till it starts to leave oil on the sides. Then add 2 Tablespoons Cream or 1/2 Cup Milk.
Add 1 Cup of water to the gravy and bring the mixture to a boil.
Then sprinkle some crushed dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) on the gravy and mix.
Add the fried vegetables to the pan and mix to coat all the vegetables with the gravy. Cover the pan with a lid and let the vegetables cook for 2-4 minutes.
Finally sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on top for garnish.
Mix Veg Curry is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread or some mild flavored rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.