Fried idli or Masala Idli Fry is a mildly spiced sautéed dish made from idlis. The idlis are fried till they are crispy and then tossed in curry leaves and South Indian spices.
Idli is a traditional South Indian Breakfast made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice.
It is considered as one among the best nutritious and light food as steaming preserves most of the nutrients. Also the fermentation process breaks down the starches so that the Idlis are more easily metabolized by the body.
This dish can be made either from fresh idlis or leftover idlis. Normally a day old refrigerated idlis are more suited as they have less tendency to break when frying and absorb less oil.
To make Fried Idli at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Fried Idli Recipe | Masala Idli Fry
Ingredients For Fried Idli Recipe | Masala Idli Fry
- 5-6 Idlis
- 20-25 Curry Leaves
- 4-5 Dried Red Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Gram Lentils)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sambar Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Fried Idli Recipe | Masala Idli Fry
- Gather some dried red chillies, curry leaves, cumin seeds, garlic cloves and black peppercorn.20-25 Curry Leaves, 4-5 Dried Red Chillies, 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- Add the ingredients to a blender and grind them coarsely.
- Gather the idlis. Leftover idlis works best since they are less crumbly. If you are using fresh made idlis, then you can refrigerate them for 30 mins before using.5-6 Idlis
- Cut the idlis into bite sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the idlis till they are crispy and light brown in color. Traditionally the idlis are deep fried, but I have just shallow fried for a healthier version. You can also bake the idlis instead. Set the fried idlis aside.
- In the same pan, add some black mustard seeds (rai) and urad dal.1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds, 1 Teaspoon Urad Dal (Split & Skinned Black Gram Lentils)
- Add a few curry leaves. This is optional, and you can skip adding them here since they are already in the spice blend we prepared earlier.
- Now add the spice mixture prepared earlier and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the fried idlis to the pan.
- Add salt, sambar masala and amchur. Toss the idlis in the masala mixture to coat them evenly.1/2 Teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon Sambar Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- Fried Idlis are ready. If you want you can sprinkle a pinch of chaat masala on the top before serving.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.