Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper) or Bharwa Shimla Mirch is a flavorful and tasty exotic side dish. For preparing this dish, hollowed Capsicum shells are stuffed with a spicy mixture of potatoes, paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and other vegetables.
Ingredients for the stuffing
The stuffing used in this recipe enhances the flavor of the dish by giving it a distinct spicy taste and melt in the mouth creamy texture. You can vary the vegetables used in the filling as per your choice.
I have used peas, carrots and corn kernels along with potato & paneer. In addition to that, you can also add dry fruits, besan (gram flour) or even rice for more texture.
This dish also has a strong visual appeal and it makes the lunch/dinner table more colorful & attractive. Stuffed dishes are considered rather exotic and are more palatable, which makes them a very good option for serving in parties.
Rich in nutrition
Stuffed capsicum also has many health benefits. Capsicum is also a good source of Vitamin C which enhances immunity. The carotenoid present in capsicum is said to lower the risk of macular degeneration and helps maintain healthy vision besides having antioxidant properties.
The filling contains paneer, carrots & peas which makes it rich in proteins and other vitamins. If you want you can reduce the quantity of potatoes and add other vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
To make Stuffed Capsicum at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Bharwan Tamatar – stuffed tomato
- Bharwa Bhindi – stuffed okra
- Paneer Bhurji – scrambled paneer in onion-tomato gravy
- Aloo Capsicum – potato bell pepper curry
- Paneer Capsicum Masala – paneer bell pepper curry
- Kadai Paneer Gravy – paneer cooked in spicy gravy
- Besan Mirch – green chillies with besan stuffing
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 22 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Stuffed Capsicum Recipe | Bharwa Shimla Mirch | Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients For Stuffed Capsicum Recipe | Bharwa Shimla Mirch | Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 Medium Sized Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- 2 Medium sized Potatoes
- 100 gm Paneer
- 1 Small Onion
- 1/2 Carrot, chopped or shredded
- 1/4 Cup Peas
- 1/4 Cup Corn Kernels
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Stuffed Capsicum Recipe | Bharwa Shimla Mirch | Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Heat oil in a pan and add Cumin Seeds. Roast them till they start to splutter.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds, 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- Add grated ginger, garlic and green chillies to the mixture.3-4 Garlic Cloves, 1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Then add finely chopped onions and fry them till they are translucent.1 Small Onion
- Then add Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder (Haldi) and Amchur (Dry Mango Powder). You can substitute Amchur with Chaat Masala.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- Add boiled potatoes to the mixture.2 Medium sized Potatoes
- Mash them coarsely coating them in the masala.
- Add boiled vegetables of your choice to the mixture. I have used corn kernels, carrots and peas here.1/2 Carrot, chopped or shredded, 1/4 Cup Corn Kernels, 1/4 Cup Peas
- Also add crumbled or grated paneer to the mixture.100 gm Paneer
- Finally add some chopped coriander leaves to the mixture. Mix all the ingredients well and set the mixture aside.1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Cut the top part of the capsicum and remove all the seeds. You can also cut some part from the bottom so that the capsicum can stay on a flat surface.4 Medium Sized Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- Fill the hollowed capsicum with the stuffing and press lightly. This way of stuffing works best if the bell peppers are small in size, since they can be served whole. If they are large you can slice them in half and then stuff both the halves separately.
- You can also roast the capsicum in a pan. However, that method takes more time and you will need to keep turning the capsicum to ensure that it is evenly cooked on all sides.
- Stuffed Capsicum is ready. Serve it hot along with any Indian Bread on the side of Dal or Raita.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.