Dal Makhani is a very popular Punjabi dal (lentil) dish made by cooking sabut urad dal (whole black lentils) and rajma (red kidney beans) in a creamy buttery base.
Dal Makhani is made rather thick in consistency, has a rich creamy texture and apart for home, it is often enjoyed in restaurants or served in parties and functions.
It is very popularl in North Indian states of Punjab, Himachal, Haryana and Delhi and is also called Maa ki Dal in Punjabi. It is a must item in the menu in any roadside eating places or dhabbas.
Similar to some other dal recipes, this recipe tastes much better on the second day after cooking as all the spices are completely absorbed by the lentils by this time.
The traditional way of cooking dal makhani is to cook it on a low flame overnight and allow it to thicken. You can make this by slow cooking the dal at home, however that generally takes a long time.
Dal Makhani goes very well with any Indian bread like naan, tandoori roti, chapati or paratha. It can also be served with plain rice, jeera rice or pulao.
To make Dal Makhani at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Dal Makhani Recipe
Ingredients For Dal Makhani Recipe
- 1 Cup Sabut Urad Dal (Whole Black Lentil)
- 1/2 Cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- 2 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Ghee
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 2-3 Long (Cloves)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
Step By Step Instructions for Dal Makhani Recipe
- Wash and soak sabut urad dal (whole black lentil) & rajma (red kidney beans) in water overnight. Drain the water.1 Cup Sabut Urad Dal (Whole Black Lentil), 1/2 Cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- Transfer the dal & rajma to a pressure cooker and add 4 cups water (enough to cover the dal). Add turmeric powder and salt. Pressure cook the mixture on high heat (for around 3-4 minutes).1/2 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Turn the heat to low after one whistle and cook for around 15-20 minutes. Let this sit till the steam comes out of the cooker on its own. The dal & rajma should be very soft by now. If not, add 1/2 cup more water and cook for a few more minutes.
- We can make the masala in the meantime. Heat butter or ghee in a pan.1 Tablespoon Butter or Ghee
- Add the cumin seeds and cloves to the hot oil and roast them them for a few seconds.1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds), 2-3 Long (Cloves)
- Make a paste of green chilies, ginger and garlic.2-3 Green Chilies, 2 Inch Piece of Ginger, 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till they are soft and golden brown in color.2 Onions
- Puree 2 tomatoes in a blender and add it to the mixture. Saute till tomatoes are cooked.2 Tomatoes
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala and heeng (asafoetida).1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- Add the cooked rajma and dal to the mixture. Add water to adjust consistency. Let it boil for a 1-2 minutes.
- Dal Makhani is ready. Garnish with cream and coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, rice or naan.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
1 thought on “Dal Makhani Recipe”
When/how are the cloves used?