Veg Biryani in pressure cooker is a one pot dish, but surprisingly every way as tasty and flavorful as the one cooked in traditional way.
One-pot meals have a special place and are a favorite among families and singles alike as they cook up quite fast and need less effort. Further like many other Indian one pot meals this dish is tasty and healthy too.
Veg Biryani is a mixed rice dish popular in entire Indian subcontinent and among the Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people around the globe. Vegetable Biryani is made with rice, a variety of spices, lentils and vegetables. Compared to other mixed rice dishes like pulaos, Biryani has a stronger taste of curried rice due to a higher amount of spices.
The traditional style of making biryani calls for slow cooking of rice with vegetables and spices for many hours, thus infusing their flavors in the rice. However, it is not feasible to cook this dish at home very frequently due to the large amount of time it takes.
Though the Non-veg versions of Biryani are more famous, Vegetable Biryani also has its own place and represents the ultimate of Indian Cuisine. It’s a unique cooking style of rice which deliciously blends the flavors of vegetables and spices and is accompanied by a unique aroma.
Biryani is a dish which is loved by most Indian people. You can make this delicious dish very easily with this recipe, since cooking the vegetables and rice together significantly reduces the amount of time it takes for cooking.
Veg Biryani tastes best when enjoyed along with Mint Raita or Onion Tomato Raita.
To make Quick Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani
- Veg Kerala Biryani | Malabar Veg Biryani
- Jodhpuri Kabuli | Rajasthani Veg Biryani
- Mixed Vegetable Pulao
- Tawa Pulao | Mumbai Style Veg Pulao
Suggested recipe collections :
- Carrot Recipes | List of 30 Indian Gajar Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Rice Recipes | List of 19 Veg Rice Recipes
- South Indian Recipes | 18 Delicious South Indian Dishes
Veg Biryani In Pressure Cooker
Ingredients For Veg Biryani In Pressure Cooker
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Potato
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Green Beans
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- 1/4 Cup Green Peas
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Shah Jeera (Kala Jeera / Caraway Seeds)
- 1 Tej Patta (Bay Leaf)
- 1 Inch stick of Dalchini (Cinnamon)
- 1-2 Badi Elaichi (Black Cardamom)
- 2-3 Hari Elaichi (Choti Elaichi / Green Cardamom)
- 2-3 Laung (Cloves)
- 2 Tablespoons Curd (Yogurt)
- 8-10 Cashews (Kaju)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Biryani Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 7-8 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Mint Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Oil or Ghee
Step By Step Instructions for Veg Biryani In Pressure Cooker
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add shah jeera (caraway seeds), tej patta (bay leaf), dalchini (cinnamon stick), badi elaichi (black cardamom), hari elaichi (green cardamom), laung (cloves).1 Teaspoon Shah Jeera (Kala Jeera / Caraway Seeds), 1 Tej Patta (Bay Leaf), 1 Inch stick of Dalchini (Cinnamon), 1-2 Badi Elaichi (Black Cardamom), 2-3 Hari Elaichi (Choti Elaichi / Green Cardamom), 2-3 Laung (Cloves)
- Add thinly sliced onions to the cooker along with ginger, garlic and green chilli paste. Fry till the onions turn golden brown.1 Medium Sized Onion, 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, 2 Green Chillies
- Add chopped potatoes, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, capsicum and green peas.1/2 Cup Chopped Potato, 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Florets, 1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots, 1/4 Cup Green Beans, 1/4 Cup Chopped Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch), 1/4 Cup Green Peas
- Then add curd (yogurt) to the vegetables.2 Tablespoons Curd (Yogurt)
- Then add salt, biryani masala, red chilli powder and turmeric powder (haldi).1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 2 Teaspoon Biryani Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- Also add some cashews along with 3 cups of water.8-10 Cashews (Kaju)
- Add rice on top in a single layer above the vegetables.1 Cup Basmati Rice
- Sprinkle some biryani powder on top of the rice.
- Put a few saffron strands in warm water or milk and let it sit for a couple of minutes.7-8 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
- Pour the saffron water on top of the rice. Also add some chopped mint & coriander leaves. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for around 20-25 minutes on a low flame till the rice is cooked.1/4 Cup Chopped Mint Leaves, 1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Open the cooker when the steam has come out. Veg Biryani is ready. Serve it hot along with some Mint Raita.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
7 thoughts on “Veg Biryani In Pressure Cooker | Quick Veg Biryani Recipe”
which biryani masala you have used
I’ve used Hyderabadi dum briyani masala from Shan brand here, but also had good results with everest biyani masala in the past.
Biryani in cooker? Ahh! Thank you for sharing this recipe. Baking biryani in Kadai can take lot of time but this will definitely save my time.
Wouldn’t curd break if pressure cooked
Hey Anitha, the main reason for curd breaking down while cooking is high heat, and so it is generally added at the end of dishes. However, for making the biryani we need to cook it at a low heat for a long time, and so the curd does not break down or curdle. To ensure best results use fresh full fat yogurt.
Hello, I have a question. You mention to cook the Biryani for 2 whistles in a pressure cooker. I wonder how many minutes that is. My pressure cooker does not make any whistles…..
Hi Pamela, Thanks for reaching out. You can cook the Biryani for around 20-25 minutes on low flame in a pressure cooker.