Achari Arbi refers to a preparation made of Arbi (Taro Root) using the same spices which are used for making Indian Pickle. The dish has a unique and delectable taste and contains no onion or garlic.
Arbi or Arvi is one of the oldest cultivated plants and the root is highly rich in starch content besides containing calcium and iron. It has many healing properties that are useful to get rid of many diseases.
Achari Arbi can be made dry or with gravy. This recipe is for making a version with gravy. Achari Arbi goes very well with almost all Indian breads like Roti, Paratha etc. and also tastes great with poori.
To make Achari Arbi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
- Rajasthani Food | 16 Authentic Veg Rajasthani Recipes
Achari Arbi Recipe | Spicy Taro Root Curry
Ingredients For Achari Arbi Recipe | Spicy Taro Root Curry
- 8-10 Arbi (Taro Roots)
- 1 Cup Beaten Fresh Curd / Yogurt
- 2 Tomatoes, pureed
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds (Dana Methi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nigella Seeds (Kalaunji)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Asaefotida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
- 4 Tablespoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Achari Arbi Recipe | Spicy Taro Root Curry
- Wash the Arbi and boil them in a pressure cooker till you get 1 whistle. Once the pressure has settled down, take out the arbi and let it cool down.8-10 Arbi (Taro Roots)
- Peel the skin of the arbi. To do that remove the skin from the thick end and then slide the Arbi out of it's skin by pressing gently from the other end.
- Cut the arbi lengthwise into 2 halves.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the sliced arbi and fry them till light golden brown. Drain the excess oil on an absorbent paper.4 Tablespoons Oil
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter add cumin seeds, carom seeds (ajwain), fennel seeds (saunf), fenugreek seeds (dana methi), nigella seeds (kalaunji) and heeng.1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds (Rai), 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/2 Teaspoon Carom Seeds (Ajwain), 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf), 1/2 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds (Dana Methi), 1/2 Teaspoon Nigella Seeds (Kalaunji), 1/4 Teaspoon Asaefotida (Heeng)
- Fry them for a few seconds till they start to crackle.
- Now add green chillies, ginger and tomatoes to the pan.2 Green Chillies, finely chopped, 1 inch Ginger, grated, 2 Tomatoes, pureed
- Cook till the raw aroma of the tomatoes goes away.
- Then add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder (dhaniya), garam masala, dry mango powder (amchur) and salt to taste.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya), 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur), 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Fry the gravy for a couple of minutes till it is properly roasted.
- Add curd along with 1/2 cup water and cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes.1 Cup Beaten Fresh Curd / Yogurt
- Stir continuously while cooking, otherwise the the curd will curdle.
- Finally add the fried arbi slices. Close the flame and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Add coriander to garnish and serve hot with roti, poori or paratha.1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.