Creamy Cucumber Salad is a delicious and refreshing salad, made from crispy crunchy cucumbers and thinly sliced onions tossed in a creamy yogurt, lemon juice and dill dressing.
This cooling salad is a great option for hot summer lunches and goes very well with heavy and spicy meals to balance them out.
Main Ingredients for Creamy Cucumber Salad
The star of the dish are fresh crispy cucumbers. I generally peel the cucumbers for this salad, but if using English cucumbers with thinner skin, you can leave the skins on for extra crunch.
Adding thinly sliced red onions give an extra bite and crunch to the salad. I love the sharp flavor of onions in this salad, but if you want to make them mild, you can soak them in water for 15 mins before adding to the salad.
You can also add diced tomatoes to the salad in addition to cucumbers and onions.
Dressing for Creamy Cucumber Salad
The traditional dressing for this salad is made using sour cream and mayonnaise. However, I have used Greek yogurt here with a dash of mayonnaise for a healthier version. You can use a combination of yogurt, sour cream and mayonnaise for the dressing as per your liking.
The dressing is seasoned with freshly chopped dill leaves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. You can also use white vinegar for tang instead of lemon juice. Freshly minced garlic or garlic powder also goes well with the salad.
Serving & Storing
The salad tastes great when served fresh, but the best flavor comes out when it is made 2-3 hours in advance before serving, as the cucumbers absorb all the flavor of the dressing. However, leaving it for too long makes the cucumbers leave their water, so the dressing risks becoming a little runny.
To make in advance, you can remove the seeds of the cucumber to prevent the dressing getting watery. Or keep the cucumber & onions chopped separately and mix with the dressing before serving.
The salad can be stored it in the fridge for several days in an airtight container. You can also add some fresh cucumbers or onions for an extra crunch when serving again.
To make Creamy Cucumber Salad at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Kachumber Salad – onion, tomato & cucumber salad
- Russian Salad – fruits & boiled vegetables in a creamy dressing
- Vegetable Slaw – broccoli, carrot & cabbage slaw
- Watermelon Feta Salad – watermelons, onion, mint & feta cheese salad
- Veg Caesar Salad – lettuce & bread croutons in caesar dressing
- Spinach Apple Pecan Salad – spinach, apple, pecan, feta in a sweet and tangy dressing
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
Ingredients For Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 2 Large Cucumbers
- 1/2 Onion
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (Curd)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Dill
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Step By Step Instructions for Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Peel and slice the cucumber into thin discs. Thinly slice the onions as well.2 Large Cucumbers, 1/2 Onion
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl add yogurt and mayonnaise.1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (Curd), 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Also add lemon juice, chopped dill, black pepper powder and salt. If using dried dill, use half the quantity mentioned for fresh dill.2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice, 2 Teaspoons Chopped Dill, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Beat the dressing with the herbs & spices to a smooth consistency.
- In a large salad bowl, add the sliced cucmubers and onions.
- Add the prepared yogurt dressing to the bowl.
- Toss the cucumbers and onions with the dressing to coat.
- Creamy Cucumber Salad is ready. Serve fresh on the side of any meal or as a snack.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.