Watermelon Feta Salad is a light and cooling Mediterranean summertime salad. It is made by combining chilled and juicy watermelon cubes with crumbled feta cheese, thinly sliced onions and fresh mint leaves in a zesty lemon & olive oil vinaigrette.
The combination of salty feta cheese with sweet watermelons imparts a unique flavor to this salad. The addition of onions gives it a distinctive bite.
Seasoning the salad with refreshing mint leaves, tangy lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper make it irresistibly refreshing during the hot summers.
Main Ingredients for Watermelon Feta Salad
As would be no surprise, most important for this salad is choosing ripe, sweet & juicy watermelons. Look for watermelons that feel heavy for their size which would indicate they are juicy. Seedless watermelons work best for this recipe so you don’t need to take out the seeds before using.
Salty crumbly feta cheese gives a really nice taste and texture to the salad and complements the sweet crunchy watermelons very well. You can substitute feta cheese with any goat cheese. If you cannot find it you can use paneer instead or skip adding the cheese altogether.
I like adding onions to the salad as they give a sharp bite to the salad. The onions need to be sliced paper thin so they don’t overpower the salad. You can also soak them in water for 15 mins to make them slightly less bitter.
Variations of Watermelon Feta Salad
Some easy variations & substitutions for the salad :
- Add some chopped cucumbers to the salad.
- Skip adding the onions.
- Top the salad with baby arugula.
- Replace chopped mint with some fresh basil for a slightly different flavor.
Healthy & Nutritious
This is a light and low calorie salad filled with the goodness of watermelons which are great source of Vitamins C & A. Watermelon has a very high percent of water and makes you feel full quickly with very few calories.
Feta cheese is a good source of calcium, phosphorus & protein, and is also lower in fat than many other cheeses. Olive oil is loaded with heart healthy fats & has great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which make it a great addition to a nutritious diet.
Serving & Storage
The salad works best when served fresh and chilled. To prepare in advance cut the watermelon into cubes and refrigerate. Then mix with other ingredients right before serving.
The salad can be stored for 1-2 days, however the waterlemon releases a lot of juice after mixing with the spices, so it’s best to consume it quickly.
To make Watermelon Feta Salad at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Spinach Apple Pecan Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Vegetable Slaw
- Russian Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Kachumber Salad
- Grated Radish & Tomato Salad
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe
Ingredients For Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe
- 6 Cups Watermelon, cubed
- 50 gm Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1/2 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
Step By Step Instructions for Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe
- Dice a watermelon into ~1 inch cubes in a large mixing bowl. For best results use a chilled watermelon.6 Cups Watermelon, cubed
- Thinly slice some onion and add it to the bowl. Optionally, you can soak the onion in water to reduce some of it's bite.1/2 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- Add coarsely chopped mint leaves.1/2 Cup Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- Now for the dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, black pepper powder and rock salt in a small mixing bowl.2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice, 2 Teaspoons Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1 Teaspoon Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
- Mix the dressing and add it to the watermelon salad.
- Add some crumbled feta to the salad and lightly toss to mix all the ingredients togther.50 gm Feta Cheese
- Watermelon Feta Salad is ready. Serve it chilled.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.