Besan mawa barfi is a mouth watering Indian sweet made from gram flour (besan) sautéed in ghee (clarified butter). It is then mixed with sugar and khoya or mawa.
Barfi in the Indian subcontinent generally refers to a sweet made from milk solids and sugar. Mawa is made of milk thickened by heating.
The sweet is often garnished with finely chopped dry fruits like almonds and pistachios or with silver foil (vark). It is then cut into square or diamond shaped pieces.
Besan mawa burfi is a traditional sweet loved by all. It is quite simple and straightforward to make and can be the starting point if you want to attempt making an Indian sweet.
This besan khoya barfi does not have as long a shelf life as its closest peer besan ladoo due to used of mawa or khoya, but still can be stored for 2-3 weeks.
To make Besan Mawa Burfi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Besan Mawa Barfi Recipe | Besan Khoya Burfi
Ingredients For Besan Mawa Barfi Recipe | Besan Khoya Burfi
- 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Mawa (Khoya)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 8-10 Almonds
- 8-10 Pistachos
- 1/4 Cup Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Step By Step Instructions for Besan Mawa Barfi Recipe | Besan Khoya Burfi
- Add besan (gram flour) to a mixing bowl or a plate.1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- Add ghee to the besan mixture. Rub between the palm of your hands to coat the besan completely with ghee. Ensure that there are no lumps in the mixture.1/4 Cup Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Sprinkle some milk slowly to just wet the mixture slightly. Then cover with a lid and let the mixture rest for 2-4 hours.2 Tablespoons Milk
- Now in a heavy bottom pan, take the besan & ghee mixture prepared earlier.
- On a low heat, continuously stir the mixture for about 20 minutes.
- When the mixture changes color and beings to release ghee from the sides, put mawa (khoya) into it.1/2 Cup Mawa (Khoya)
- Stir to mix well and continue to stir for about 5 minutes. Then remove the pan for the heat while you prepare the sugar syrup.
- Take around 1/4 cup water in a pan and add sugar in it. Keep the pan on low flame and continue to stir the sugar solution as it dissolves.1 Cup Sugar
- Boil the sugar mixture to one string consistency.
- Put sugar syrup into the besan mixture. Quickly stir the mixture before it sets down. The mixture will quickly shrink in size and so it needs to be stirred vigorously.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.1 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- Transfer the contents to a greased pan or a plate with high ends.
- Add finely chopped pieces of almonds (badam), pistachios (pista) to cover the entire surface of the besan Mixture. Allow the mixture to cool.8-10 Almonds, 8-10 Pistachos
- Remove the set mixture from the plate. Then cut the barfi into square or diamond shaped pieces.
- Besan mawa barfi is ready. It is best served at room temperature.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.