Checkerboard Cookies are light & buttery cookies. They are made with alternating squares of vanilla and chocolate flavored dough making them look like a checkerboard.
These cookies look really pretty and are a simple recipe for for special occasions. You can serve them alongside tea or as snacks in between meals.
This recipe was submitted by Aditi Vyas as part of our Eggless Baking Recipe Contest.
To make Checkerboard Cookies at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Checkerboard Cookies Recipe | Black and White Cookies
Ingredients For Checkerboard Cookies Recipe | Black and White Cookies
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 150 Gram Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
Step By Step Instructions for Checkerboard Cookies Recipe | Black and White Cookies
- Combine butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl and beat till the mixture becomes light and fluffy.150 Gram Unsalted Butter, 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar, 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Add the all purpose flour and mix well. Add milk and knead to make a soft dough.2 Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Add cocoa powder in one part and knead well.2 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- Roll both parts into 1.5 inch thick square-rectangular sticks and wrap them in a plastic wrap.
- Cool the sticks in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Slice each dough lengthwise into 3 pieces of around 1/2 inch thickness.
- Swap the middle dough of both these slabs. Make two 1.5 inch slabs of dough, by placing alternating vanilla and chocolate slabs on top of each other and press gently.
- Again cut each slab lengthwise into 3 pieces of equal width.
- Rearrange by swapping the middle dough again. Make two large slabs again by placing the smaller slabs on each other, making sure that alternate colors are stacked.
- Wrap each dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate again for 30 minutes.
- Slice the slabs crosswise into 1/4 inch thick pieces and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 180 C or 350 F for around 15 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack. Checkerboard Cookies are ready.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.