Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian street food tracing its origin to Mumbai where a spicy & tangy vegetable curry is served with a soft toasted bread bun. ‘Pav’ means a type of soft bread buns and ‘Bhaji’ means a mix of vegetables and curry.
It is believed that originally Pav Bhaji was conceived as a quick meal for mill workers, due to its simplicity and easy access to various ingredients.
These days Pav Bhaji is available in almost all Indian restaurants and many street side joints. The cooking process for pav bhaji is relatively quick and easy.
The curry for pav bhaji is made from a mix of many vegetables. It is a must to add onion, tomatoes and potatoes. Apart from that you can add as many vegetables you want which usually include carrots, peas, capsicum, cauliflower, beans, etc.
This curry is then served with toasted pavs. To prepare the pavs, melt some butter on a pan and slightly toast the Pav buns. Serve them while they are hot and crispy.
With a mix of several vegetables, Pav Bhaji is quiet healthy. Though it tastes best with a liberal dose of butter, you can cook it at home with less oil and butter to make it healthier.
To make Pav Bhaji at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Carrot Recipes | List of 30 Indian Gajar Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Pav Bhaji Recipe
Ingredients For Pav Bhaji Recipe
- 12 Pav Buns
- 1 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- 2 Small Carrots (Gajar)
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 3/4 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 2 Medium Sized Onions
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Green Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 3 Tablespoons Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
Step By Step Instructions for Pav Bhaji Recipe
- Prepare the vegetables and dice cauliflower, carrots and potatoes.1 Cup Cauliflower Florets, 2 Small Carrots (Gajar), 2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Add them to a large pot of boiling water and cover with a lid.
- Boil them along with peas till all the vegetables become soft and are cooked.3/4 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- Melt butter in a big pan or wok. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Then add ginger, garlic and green chili paste.3-4 Garlic Cloves, 1 Inch Ginger, 2 Green Chillies
- Add finely chopped onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes till they turn golden brown.2 Medium Sized Onions
- Then add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.2 Large Tomatoes
- Also add chopped capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.1 Green Capsicum (Bell Pepper / Shimla Mirch)
- Add pav bhaji masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala to the gravy. Also add salt according to taste.3 Tablespoons Pav Bhaji Masala, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 2 Teaspoons Salt
- Add the rest of the boiled vegetables to the gravy.
- Mash and mix the vegetables with the gravy.
- Add water to adjust the consistency, but do not make the gravy too thin. It should be of a slightly thick consistency.
- Add a dollop of butter to the gravy.2 Tablespoons Butter
- Also add some chopped coriander leaves.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- Pav Bhaji is ready. Sprinkle lime juice, finely chopped onions on the bhaji and serve with toasted buns. You can also serve some mango pickle or mixed veg pickle on the side.12 Pav Buns
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.