Crispy rice paper dumplings are crunchy & chewy pan fried dumplings made with tofu, mushrooms and shredded veggies, cooked in a rice paper wrapping.
These quick & easy dumplings are all the rage on Tik Tok these days, and are a great option for a healthy snack to satisfy your cravings for some delicious food.
What are rice paper sheets?
Rice paper sheets are thin translucent discs, used to make various rolls in Asian cuisine. These sheets are generally made of rice flour and tapioca flour, and are available in most Asian grocery stores and other big supermarkets.
The sheet are hard when dry and need to be soaked in water for a few seconds to make them soft enough to wrap. However, do not soak them for too long or in hot water, otherwise they will start to tear up.
Main ingredients for the filling
You can use a number of veggies and proteins in these dumplings, depending on what you have available at home. The following are the main ingredients and some recommended substitutions :
- Tofu is the main protein in the dish. You can use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe. Drain the water from the tofu and crumble it with your hands. You can then add it as is, or fry them lightly before adding. You can also use grated paneer for this recipe instead.
- Mushrooms add a great earthy flavor and nutrition to the the dish. I have used cremini mushrooms for the recipe, however, you can use other varieties like shiitake, portobello etc. If you don’t have mushrooms, you can skip them.
- I have used grated cabbage, carrots and green onions for this recipe. Some other common veggies you can add are bell peppers, onions, grated broccoli etc.
- The filling is flavored with ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper. You can use tamari instead of the soy sauce as well. Sesame oil adds a delicious nutty flavor the filling, and is the one thing I won’t recommend skipping.
Some handy tips for making the dumplings
Below I have listed down a few things to keep in mind while preparing these dumplings :
- Avoid adding veggies which may leave a lot of water like tomatoes, lettuce or squash.
- When preparing the filling, keep all the ingredients ready and then cook them on high heat for a short amount of time, to retain their crispness.
- Dip the rice paper sheets in water for around 10 secs and then take them out. They will continue to get soft even after they are out of the water. If you leave them in the water for too long, the sheets will start to tear up.
- I prefer using double wrapping of rice paper sheets, to ensure that the dumplings don’t tear up.
- Fry the dumplings in small batches, to avoid them sticking together while cooking.
Nutritious & healthy snack
These dumplings are a great healthy option to satisfy your cravings for something spicy and crunchy. They are a low carb and low fat snack, while offering a decent amount of protein.
The thin rice paper sheets used in making the wrapping for these rolls are low in carbs and fats and offer a healthy alternative to the other high calorie sheets. You can also air fry the dumplings instead of pan frying them, to reduce the fat content further.
The filling for these rolls is loaded with tofu and mushrooms, which are a great source of protein and fiber. The addition of other vegetables like cabbage & carrots further increases the fiber and nutrient content of this dish.
To make in advance, prepare the filling and refrigerate it. Then wrap the dumplings and pan fry them when it’s time to serve.
To make crispy rice paper dumplings at home, follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Crispy Rice Paper Dumplings Recipe
Ingredients For Crispy Rice Paper Dumplings Recipe
For the filling
- 200 gm Tofu extra firm or firm
- 200 gm Mushrooms
- 2 Cups Green Cabbage (Patta Gobi) shredded
- 1/2 Cup Carrot (Gajar) shredded
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger grated
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
For the dumplings
- 20 Rice Paper Sheets
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Crispy Rice Paper Dumplings Recipe
Preparing the filling
- Drain the water from tofu by placing it under a heavy pan for 15-20 minutes. Then crumble it with your hands and add it in a pan along with some cooking oil.200 gm Tofu, 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- Saute the tofu till it starts to slightly brown. Then remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Add finely chopped mushrooms the same pan. You can add some extra oil if needed.200 gm Mushrooms
- Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat, till the mushrooms are slightly glazed and crispy on the edges.
- Add shredded cabbage, carrots and spring onion whites and grated ginger to the pan. Cook them on medium-high heat for 2 mins.2 Cups Green Cabbage (Patta Gobi), 1/2 Cup Carrot (Gajar), 3 Spring Onions, 1 Teaspoon Ginger
- The add soy sauce along with salt and pepper to the filling.2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 1 Teaspoon Salt, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- Mix in the crumbled tofu and add some toasted sesame oil.2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- Mix all the ingredients well and set aside the filling to cool down slightly.
Preparing the dumplings
- Take a rice paper sheets for wrapping the filling.20 Rice Paper Sheets
- Dip the sheet in water for a few seconds and take out. The sheet will continue to get softer outside as well.
- Place 2 spoons of filling in the center of the sheet.
- Fold the top and bottom halves of the sheet on top of each other around the filling.
- Then fold the left and right halves to make the dumplings. Then repeat the same with a second sheet of rice paper to double wrap the dumpling. Make all the dumplings this way.
- Heat some oil in a non stick pan and add place the dumplings in the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan to prevent them from sticking together.2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- Flip to cook the dumplings from all sides on medium heat.
- Pan fry them till they are crispy and golden brown in color.
- Crispy rice paper dumplings are ready. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, spring onion greens or parsley leaves. Serve them hot with sweet chilli sauce, schezwan sauce or soy sauce.