Veg Fried Momos are crispy & delicious deep-fried dumplings made of plain flour stuffed with crunchy & mildly spiced vegetables.
The name ‘momos’ is believed to be a colloquial form of the Tibetan word ‘mog mog’. Momos are considered native to Tibet as well as areas of Bhutan, Nepal, Ladakh, Sikkim, Assam, and Arunachal Pradesh.
They are now extremely popular across a wider region of the Indian subcontinent specially in the Northern parts of the country and are a huge favorite of children and young people.
Momos are very commonly eaten across the whole country and can be found not only as a street food but in many restaurants as well.
Filling for fried momos
Different types of momo fillings are popular in different regions. The vegetarian versions may include finely chopped cabbage, carrot, onions and sometimes beans, grated soya, onions, paneer, Tofu, potatoes etc.
How are they different from steamed momos?
Veg Fried Momos rather than being steamed like regular dumplings, are fried in oil as their name suggests. This gives them a more crispy texture, as well as a crunchy & unbelievably delicious taste.
Health conscious people who want to cut down on using excessive oil, can achieve almost similar results with less oil by using an air fryer.
Fried Momos can be served as a light snack in parties or as an lip smacking evening snack at home.
To make veg fried momos at home, follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Veg Momos
- Veg Spring Rolls
- Crispy Rice Paper Dumplings
- Gobi Manchurian
- Veg Manchurian
- Veg Chow Mein
- Schezwan Fried Rice
Suggested recipe collections :
Veg Fried Momos Recipe
Ingredients For Veg Fried Momos Recipe
For the wrappers
- 1 Cup Maida (Plain Flour)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Cooking Oil for frying
For the filling
- 1 Cup Green Cabbage (Patta Gobi) grated
- 1/2 Cup Carrots (Gajar) grated
- 1/4 Cup Onions chopped
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Peppercorn (Sabut Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Veg Fried Momos Recipe
Preparing the dough
- Add maida (plain flour) in a large mixing bowl.1 Cup Maida (Plain Flour)
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon oil to the mixture. Mix to coat the maida thoroughly with oil.
- Add 1/4 cup water in small increments and start kneading to make a supple dough.
- When the dough is smooth and soft, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and let it rest for 20 mins.
Preparing the filling
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When oil becomes hot add minced ginger, garlic and finely chopped green chillies.
- Then add finely chopped onions and saute on high heat for a min. You do not have to brown the onions, just soften them slightly.
- Keeping the heat high, add grated carrots to the pan.1/2 Cup Carrots (Gajar)
- Then add the grated cabbage. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.1 Cup Green Cabbage (Patta Gobi)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix and cook for 1-2 more minutes till the water from the stuffing has evaporated.
- Mix well and set the filling aside to cool down. Let it come close to room temperature before using for best results.
Shaping the momos
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and shape them into cylindrical logs. Then cut the logs into 8-10 equal sized pieces.
- Shape a piece into a small ball by rolling it between your hands. Place it on a lightly oiled surface.
- Flatten out the ball into a small disc with the help of a rolling pin. Keep the edges slightly thinner and the middle part slightly thicker.
- Place a tablespoon of filling onto the disc.
- Start gathering the edges of the disc towards the center in overlapping pleats. Do this for half the side of the disc.
- Press the second half of the disc to the pleated half to create crescent shaped dumplings.
- Prepare all the momos this way. At this point you can steam the momos for 3-5 minutes if you want. However I prefer frying them directly.
Frying the momos
- Heat oil in a deep pan at medium heat. Gently drop the momos in the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the momos.
- Gently turn the momos and keep frying them on medium heat till they are golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Fry all the momos in batches this way. Then place them on an absorbent paper.
- Veg fried momos are ready. Serve them hot with momo chutney or spicy chilli sauce.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.