Schezwan Fried Rice is a popular and spicy rice dish from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. It derives it’s unique pungent & spicy flavor from the addition of Schezwan Sauce.
Veg Schezwan Fried Rice is a blend of rice with vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, french beans and spring onion which are tossed with soy sauce and schezwan auce to give it a spicy and distinct chili garlic flavor.
Schezwan Fried Rice is a quick & easy recipe, specially if you are using store bought Schezwan Sauce. It’s spicy and tangy taste makes it really delicious and it also looks quite colorful due to the addition of so many vegetables.
Origins of the dish
Indo-Chinese cuisine is considered to be an adaptation of Chinese seasoning and cooking techniques to suit Indian tastes. This is believed to have its origin in small Chinese population which came to India about two centuries back to Kolkata and created a unique fusion of Indian and Chinese dishes.
Veg Schezwan Fried Rice which may have started as a street food in the city of Kolkata, is now available as a street food in most of the country and has gained widespread acceptability. It now forms a part of menu in many small and big Indian restaurants and chains.
This dish has good nutrition value due to the addition of fresh vegetables and is a complete food in itself. But you can also serve this rice along with an Indo-Chinese side dish like :
To make Veg Schezwan Fried Rice at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe
Ingredients For Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe
- 1.5 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup chopped Cabbage
- 1/4 Cup chopped Carrots
- 1/4 Cup chopped Green Beans
- 1/2 Cup chopped Capsicum (Bell Pepper), green or colored
- 3 Spring Onions
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tablespoon Schezwan Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, or as per taste
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe
- Heat 4.5 cups of water in a pot and add 1/2 teaspoon oil to it.
- Add washed rice to the pot and cook on medium flame for 15 minutes without a lid.1.5 Cups Basmati Rice
- Do not fully cook the rice, it should be firm to the bite. Then drain the water from the rice and let them cool down.
- Heat oil in a pan and add minced garlic to it. Fry for a few seconds.2 Tablespoon Oil, 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- Then add chopped spring onion whites, cabbage, carrots, green beans and bell peppers (capsicum).1/4 Cup chopped Cabbage, 1/4 Cup chopped Carrots, 1/4 Cup chopped Green Beans, 3 Spring Onions, 1/2 Cup chopped Capsicum (Bell Pepper), green or colored
- Cook the vegetables on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring continuously to ensure that they are cooked evenly.
- Add schezwan sauce, soy sauce and vinegar to the vegetables and mix well.2 Tablespoon Schezwan Sauce, 1 Teaspoon Soy Sauce, 1/2 Teaspoon Chilli Vinegar
- Now add the cooked rice to the pan and toss them to mix with the vegetables and sauces.
- Season the rice with salt and pepper.1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste, 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, or as per taste
- Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Veg Schezwan Fried Rice are ready. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve them hot.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
2 thoughts on “Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe”
It looks as if the recipe is incomplete/ has typo
In the ingredients there are “2 Tablespoons, 1 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon”
in the step by step instructions, there is a step “Add , and to the vegetables and mix well.”
It is very confusing. Please do something to clear the confusion,
Hey Sandeep, so sorry for the inconvenience. We had a small issue with some of the links disappearing from our website, hence the typos. The issue should be fixed now. Thanks for brining it to our notice! 🙂