Veg hakka noodles is an Indo-Chinese preparation that is made by tossing boiled noodles and stir fried vegetables in Chinese sauces. The vegetables give it an enjoyable crunchy texture and the soy and chilli sauces give it a distinctive flavor.
This dish is very popular across all of India and is often served in Indian Restaurants or in parties. Spicy variations of this are often sold by street vendors as chowmein.
How to make a healthy version of hakka noodles?
The hakka noodles found in restaurants are generally unhealthy as they contain a lot of oil and very little veggies. But this homemade version of veg hakka noodles is quite nutritious since it is loaded with veggies and very little oil has gone into its preparation.
I have added onions, colored bell peppers (capsicum), cabbage, carrots and spring onions to this dish, but you can add other vegetables of your choice like broccoli, snap peas etc as well.
You can make this dish even healthier by using whole wheat noodles in place of plain flour (maida) ones and using a low sodium soy sauce.
Vegetable hakka noodles can generally be eaten on their own since they are quite spicy & flavorful. But they also taste great with Indo-Chinese side dishes like :
To make Veg Hakka Noodles at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Veg Hakka Noodles Recipe
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Veg Hakka Noodles Recipe
- 300 gm Hakka Noodles
- 1/2 Cup Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Colored Capsicum (Bell Pepper), thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Carrots, shredded
- 3-4 Stems Spring Onions, chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic, grated
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Green Chilli Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Veg Hakka Noodles Recipe
- Boil 2 cups of water in a vessel. Add 1 teaspoon oil in the water which will prevent the noodles from sticking to each other. Also add a pinch of salt so that it gets absorbed in the noodles while cooking. Add the noodles to the water and cook them according to the instructions on the pack till they are tender.300 gm Hakka Noodles
- When the noodles are cooked, drain the hot water and place them in a colander. Lightly hand toss them to separate the noodle strands and run the noodles under cold water to stop the cooking process, so the noodles do not become mushy.
- You can prepare the gravy while the noodles are cooking. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok (kadhai). Add grated garlic & finely chopped green chillies and fry them.3-4 Cloves of Garlic, grated, 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- Then add thinly sliced onions and colored bell peppers (capsicum).1/2 Cup Onion, thinly sliced, 1/2 Cup Colored Capsicum (Bell Pepper), thinly sliced
- Also add shredded cabbage and carrots along with chopped spring onion whites.1/2 Cup Cabbage, shredded, 3-4 Stems Spring Onions, chopped, 1/2 Cup Carrots, shredded
- Toss the vegetables lightly for a few minutes, stir frying them on high heat till they are cooked but still crunchy. Do not cook overcook the vegetables.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, green chilli sauce and red chilli sauce. Also add black pepper powder and salt to taste.2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce, 1 Teaspoon Chilli Vinegar, 1 Teaspoon Green Chilli Sauce, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Sauce, 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Toss lightly to mix the sauces with the vegetables.
- Add boiled noodles to the vegetables and toss to coat the noodles.
- You can use 2 forks to mix the noodles so that they don’t get smushed.
- Finally add some finely chopped spring onion greens for garnish.
- Veg Hakka Noodles are ready. Serve them hot along with any Indo-Chinese side dish.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.