Tomato Salsa is a Mexican dip made from roasted red tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic and onion along with a dash of cilantro, lime juice and spices.
The actual name for this salsa is Salsa Roja Asada. In Spanish, ‘roja’ means red and ‘asada’ means roasted. More commonly throughout the word, this tomato salsa is just known as Red Salsa.
The salsa has a deliciously smoky, spicy & tangy flavor from the addition of roasted tomatoes & jalapeños. You can increase or decrease the level of spice by adding more or less jalapeños.
Salsa Roja Asada is a very common dip served along with Mexican foods. It can be enjoyed along with various dishes like tortilla chips, tacos, burritos & wraps.
This recipe for Tomato Salsa is also quite healthy since no oil is used for cooking.
To make Red Tomato Salsa at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Salsa Verde – green tomato salsa
- Pico De Gallo – fresh onion tomato salsa
- Guacamole Dip – avocado dip
- Mango Salsa – mango & bell pepper salsa
Tomato Salsa Recipe | Salsa Roja Asada
Ingredients For Tomato Salsa Recipe | Salsa Roja Asada
- 4 Red Tomatoes
- 1-2 Jalapeños
- 1 Small Onion
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro Leaves (Coriander)
- 2 Teaspoons Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
Step By Step Instructions for Tomato Salsa Recipe | Salsa Roja Asada
- Chop the tomatoes and jalapeños into big chunks. Also peel the garlic cloves. Place them on a heated pan along with 4-5 cloves of garlic. You can remove the seeds of the jalapeños if you want to reduce the spice level.4 Red Tomatoes, 1-2 Jalapeños, 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- Place the tomatoes, jalapeños and garlic on a heated pan. I have not added any oil in this recipe, but you can coat the pan with a layer of oil if you want. Alternately you can also grill them in the oven.
- Roast the vegetables till the they are soft and smoky. Do not be afraid if the edges of the vegetables turn black. The charred veggies give a nice flavor and color to the salsa.
- Add some onion to the pan and roast till it turns golden brown or translucent.
- Transfer the roasted veggies to a food processor or blender and make a puree. You can add some water to get the desired consistency.1 Small Onion
- Add the roasted onion to the blender and make a puree.
- Now add black pepper powder, red chilli powder and salt, as per your taste. Also add some lime juice.1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 2 Teaspoons Lime Juice
- Add chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) and puree the mixture well. Adjust the consistency by adding water if needed. Generally the salsa should be of a thick chunky consistency.1/2 Cup Cilantro Leaves (Coriander)
- Tomato Salsa or Salsa Roja Asada is ready. You can refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.