Salsa Verde is a Mexican salsa made from pureeing roasted green tomatillos, jalapeños, onions, garlic, cilantro and flavored with lime juice and spices.
‘Verde’ means green in Spanish, referring to the green color of the salsa resulting from the addition of tomatillos and jalapeños in the recipe.
Salsa Verde is one of the most popular Mexican salsas and is enjoyed with a wide variety of foods. It can be used as dip for tortilla chips, layered on enchiladas or served with tacos and burritos.
Traditionally this salsa is made from tomatillos, but if they are not available you can also substitute them with green tomatoes. This will make the salsa taste different than the traditional version, but still extremely tasty.
Salsa Verde has a tangy and spicy flavor and generally has a higher heat quotient than other salsas like red salsa. If you want to dial down the heat, you can reduce the quantity of jalapeños used in the recipe.
Also in this recipe I have roasted the vegetables before pureeing them which gives them it a slightly smoky flavor and a darker color. You can also make this salsa by pureeing raw vegetables if you like.
To make Salsa Verde at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Salsa Roja Asada – red tomato salsa
- Pico De Gallo – fresh onion tomato salsa
- Guacamole Dip – avocado dip
- Fruit Guacamole – avocado dip with fresh fruits
- Mango Salsa – mango & bell pepper salsa
Salsa Verde Recipe | Green Tomatillo Salsa
Ingredients For Salsa Verde Recipe | Green Tomatillo Salsa
- 10-12 Tomatillos/Green Tomatoes
- 1 Small Onion
- 1-2 Jalapeños
- 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 2 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
Step By Step Instructions for Salsa Verde Recipe | Green Tomatillo Salsa
- Dice the tomatillos, onions and jalapeños and place them on a hot pan to roast along with garlic cloves.10-12 Tomatillos/Green Tomatoes, 1 Small Onion, 1-2 Jalapeños, 5-6 Cloves of Garlic
- I do not add any oil to roast the vegetables, but you can add 1-2 tsp of oil if needed. It is ok if the vegetable edges turn slightly black as that will give a nice flavor and color to the salsa.
- When the vegetables have roasted transfer them to a food processor or blender and make a puree.
- Add black pepper powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste.1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Kali Mirch), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1-2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Also add some lime juice and grind the ingredients to a smooth paste in the blender.2 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- Add finely chopped cilantro leaves to the salsa. Salsa Verde is ready. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving. Enjoy it as a dip with chips, tacos or on sandwiches and wraps.1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.