Thandai, also known as Sardai, is a chilled almond flavored milk beverage. It is a refreshing drink that has a cooling effect and gives instant energy in scorching Indian summers.
It contains various cooling nuts and spices like almonds, fennel seeds, magaz (kernel of Watermelon seeds), cardamom, khus khus (poppy seeds) etc.
A generous pinch of saffron threads provides it a distinctive taste & color. Rose petals, pepper, cashew nuts are other items that are commonly added to thandai.
Thandai is also made during various Hindu festivals of Holi & Maha Shivaratri. Indian holy city of Banaras is famous for thandai and during festivals many people and devotees drink bhang waali thandai, which is made by addition of fresh/dried leaves of bhang(cannabis).
It is common for people to make this drink from a concentrate or powder available off shelf in the market. But this homemade version of Thandai not only tastes much better but is good for health as it contains no added preservatives.
Due to the addition of milk, nuts and seeds thandai is quite rich in calcium & various vitamins. You can control the quantity of sugar as per choice to make it healthier.
To make Thandai at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Thandai Recipe | Almond Flavored Milk
Ingredients For Thandai Recipe | Almond Flavored Milk
- 2 Litre Milk
- 3 Tablespoon Sugar
- 20 Almonds
- 15 Cashew Nuts
- 15 Pistachios
- 2 Tablespoons Magaz (Melon Seeds)
- 2 Tablespoons Khus Khus (Poppy Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 15-20 Rose Petals or 1 Teaspoon Rosewater
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dalchini (Cinnamon Powder)
- 5-6 Elaichi (Green Cardamoms), crushed
- 8-10 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
Step By Step Instructions for Thandai Recipe | Almond Flavored Milk
- Separately soak almonds (baadam), pistachios (pista) and cashew nuts (kaju), magaz (melon seeds), khus khus (poppy seeds) and saunf (fennel seeds) in water overnight.20 Almonds, 15 Cashew Nuts, 15 Pistachios, 2 Tablespoons Magaz (Melon Seeds), 2 Tablespoons Khus Khus (Poppy Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- To make the thandai, peel the almonds and pistachios. Drain all the soaked ingredients and add them to a food processor. Grind them to make a fine wet paste using milk (not water).
- Separately, grind black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, rose petals and saffron strands to make a fine dry powder15-20 Rose Petals or 1 Teaspoon Rosewater, 10 Black Peppercorns, 1/4 Teaspoon Dalchini (Cinnamon Powder), 5-6 Elaichi (Green Cardamoms), crushed, 8-10 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
- Boil the milk and add sugar when it starts boiling. Add the wet paste to the milk and stir for 4-5 minutes as it boils.2 Litre Milk, 3 Tablespoon Sugar
- Add the dry powder prepared earlier to the milk. Take the milk of the heat and let it come to room temperature before putting it in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with pistachios, almonds, saffron strands and rose petals. Serve chilled.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.