Tomato Garlic Chutney or Lahsun Tamatar Ki Chutney is a chutney made from fresh raw garlic as the main ingredient along with onions, tomatoes, cumin, red chilli peppers etc.
Chutney is a spicy condiment in Indian cuisine made from a mixture of spices, vegetables or fruits. Chutneys not only bring freshness and tanginess to the food, but also facilitate easy digestion of accompanying snacks or meals.
There are many variations of garlic chutney made across India. They may be wet or dry and can include other ingredients like coconut powder, tamarind, groundnut powder etc.
This spicy & tangy version of garlic chutney made using tomatoes is very popular in Rajasthan and other western regions of India and is usually served along with the traditional Rajasthani meal of dal, baati and churma.
The bright red colored tomato garlic chutney can be enjoyed as a side-dish with any meal or can be used to make snacks like pav bhaji, chowmein, sev puri, sandwiches etc. even more lip smacking.
This chutney not also enhances the flavor of the food, but also packs the health benefits of garlic. Garlic has very few calories, is highly nutritious and is rich in compounds with potent health benefits.
Though wet Chutneys do not have as long a life as pickles, they can last for quite some time when refrigerated. You can store this tomato garlic chutney for upto a week in the refrigerator.
To make Tomato Garlic Chutney at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Dry Garlic Chutney | Vada Pav Chutney
- Mint Chutney
- Mint Coriander Chutney
- Coriander Tomato Chutney
- Coconut Chutney
- Tamarind Chutney
Suggested recipe collections :
Tomato Garlic Chutney Recipe | Rajasthani Lahsun Ki Chutney
Ingredients For Tomato Garlic Chutney Recipe | Rajasthani Lahsun Ki Chutney
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Large Tomato
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1-2 Cloves Laung
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Tomato Garlic Chutney Recipe | Rajasthani Lahsun Ki Chutney
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera), asafoetida (heeng) and coarsely ground cloves (laung).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng), 1-2 Cloves Laung
- Add chopped onions to the pan. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add coarsely chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic and onion are cooked and turn golden brown.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder (haldi) and salt.1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- Now add some chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Cook on high heat till the tomatoes become soft. Let the mixture cool slightly and then make a smooth puree in a blender.
- Tomato garlic chutney is ready. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.