Dahi Vadas are soft and spongy dumplings made by deep frying urad dal (split black lentils). These are then immersed in yoghurt and topped with sweet and tangy chutneys and garnished with spices.
Dahi Vada is one of the most popular and tempting snacks in India. It is also known as Dahi Bhalla in mostly Punjabi speaking areas of the country.
Generally dahi vadas are topped with some tamarind chutney, but some people also like to add coriander chutney. A little sprinkling of roasted cumin powder, salt & red chilli powder makes the dish taste irresistible.
This delicious and refreshing snack is an excellent accompaniment with meals. Dahi Vada is not only lip-smackingly delicious, but is also light on the stomach & very easy to digest.
To make Dahi Vada at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Dahi Vada Recipe | Dahi Bhalla
Ingredients For Dahi Vada Recipe | Dahi Bhalla
For the Vadas
- 1 Cup raw Urad Dal (Split Black Lentil)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Oil for Frying
For the Topping
- 3 Cups Plain Curd (Yogurt)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Tamarind Chutney (Imli Ki Chutney)
- 1 Teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder (Bhuna Jeera Powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
Step By Step Instructions for Dahi Vada Recipe | Dahi Bhalla
- Wash, rinse and drain urad dal. Soak it in water overnight for 4-5 hours.1 Cup raw Urad Dal (Split Black Lentil)
- Then drain all the water and transfer the urad dal to a mixer grinder. Also add jeera (cumin seeds) and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Add water in small increments and grind the mixture to make a batter of thick lumpy consistency. Beat this batter for at least 4-5 minutes to make light and fluffy vadas. Then let it sit for 10 minutes.3/4 Cup Water
- Pour spoonfuls of batter in the oil. You can also take small portions of the batter between your fingers and gently drop them in the oil.
- Deep fry the dumplings in batches on medium heat till they are light golden brown.
- Take them out when they are cooked on both sides. Let them cool down for a few minutes.
- Transfer the vadas to slightly warm and mildly salted water. Let them soak in water for 15-20 minutes. Then gently press the vadas to squeeze out the water and transfer them to a plate.
- Whisk 2-3 cups of chilled yoghurt with 1/2 cup of water till smooth and pour it over the vadas. If you want you can also add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the curd as well.
- Top it with 2 teaspoons of tamarind chutney. You can also add some coriander chutney as well.
- Sprinkle around roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt, as per your taste. Serve the dahi vadas chilled.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.