Gajar Matar Ki Sabji is a delicious Indian dry vegetable dish made from fresh carrots and peas sautéed in oil with mild Indian spices.
This simple vegetable dish is quite colorful and the fresh carrot and peas tossed in mild spices with a dash of fresh green coriander leaves is delectable and full of flavor.
A very simple dish to make, gajar matar sabji can be considered as a seasonal vegetable dish as it is commonly made during winters in many parts of Northern India, when carrots are in season.
Gajar matar sabji is a no garlic, no onion vegetable dish. It is also a healthy vegetable dish which is low in calories and rich in antioxidants, proteins & vitamins.
Carrots are a good source of several vitamins and minerals and contain beta carotene which is converted to Vitamin A by our body and is good for our eyes. Green peas are rich source of protein.
The dish is a good accompaniment to all type of Indian breads like rotis, phulkas, naan etc. and being a dry vegetable dish, it is also quite often paired with Indian dals or raita as part of main course food.
To make Gajar Matar Sabzi at home take a look at the video or follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Carrot Recipes | List of 30 Indian Gajar Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Gajar Matar Recipe | Carrot & Peas Curry
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Gajar Matar Recipe | Carrot & Peas Curry
- 7-8 Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Teaspoon Rai (Black Mustard Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Heeng (Asafoetida)
- 1 Teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 Teaspoon Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Gajar Matar Recipe | Carrot & Peas Curry
- Heat oil in a pan and add some rai (black mustard seeds) to it and let it splutter. Then add some jeera (cumin seeds).
- When the cumin seeds start to crackle, add some chopped green chillies to the pan and stir for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder and (heeng) asafoetida to the pan.
- Then add some diced carrots to the pan.
- Also add some fresh green peas. Stir fry for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add coriander powder (dhania), dry mango powder (amchur) and salt.
- Stir to mix the spices with the vegetables and add around 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the vegetables for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the carrots & peas have become soft turn off the heat and add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Gajar matar ki sabzi is ready. Serve it hot with any Indian bread like roti or puri.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.