Gajar ki sabji is a simple & minimalistic Indian main course dish made by stir frying and tempering fresh diced carrot pieces with Indian spices.
Although the majority of carrot dishes are made by mixing carrots with other vegetables like peas, fenugreek leaves etc, this simple carrot stir fry recipe scores due to its simplicity and lets you truly enjoy the natural taste of carrots.
Rich in nutrients
If one was to pick up a vegetable which can be called a goldmine of nutrients, the choice is likely to narrow down to Gajar or Carrot.
Carrots are a great source of Vitamin A and are good for eyesight. They are also rich in Antioxidants, Calcium, Vitamin C and contain alkaline elements which help to purify the blood and maintain healthy levels of uric acid.
Gajar ki sabji can be enjoyed as main course with any Indian bread. Since it is bit dry, it is often accompanied with a dal or raita when eaten with chapati or rice.
To make Gajar ki sabji at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Carrot Recipes | List of 30 Indian Gajar Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Gajar ki Sabji Recipe | Carrot Stir Fry
Ingredients For Gajar ki Sabji Recipe | Carrot Stir Fry
- 4-5 Carrots (Gajar)
- 1-2 Green Chillis
- 1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Rai)
- 1 Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania powder)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Gajar ki Sabji Recipe | Carrot Stir Fry
- Heat some oil in a deep heavy bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds (rai) and fry for a few seconds till they start to splutter. Then add cumin seeds (jeera) and allow them to crackle.1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai), 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Rai)
- Add chopped green chillies, turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).1-2 Green Chillis, 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- Add diced carrot pieces to the pan along with salt. Mix the contents 1-2 times and cover the pan with a lid.1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste, 4-5 Carrots (Gajar)
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes allowing the carrots to turn soft. Stir occasionally in interval of 1-2 minutes. Continue to keep the pan covered with a lid.
- Add coriander powder (dhania powder) and dry mango powder (amchur) to the pan and mix well.1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania powder), 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur Powder)
- Cook for a minute, then add freshly chopped coriander leaves and mix.1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
- Gajar ki Sabji is ready. Serve it hot with chapatis.
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.