Paneer tikka masala is a vibrant and exotic Indian curry made of marinated and grilled paneer cubes dunked in a spicy and rich onion tomato based gravy.
It is one of the most popular dish ordered in Indian restaurants and is also a favorite on special occasions and parties. The dish has its origin in North India and is popular more in North, although now its popular all over the world.
This recipe is for the paneer tikka masala which forms part of main course meals. There is also another popular variation of this dish called paneer tikka, which is dry spicy grilled Indian cottage cheese and is served as an appetizer.
What is paneer?
Paneer is a type of fresh, soft cottage cheese native to the Indian subcontinent made by curdling milk. Paneer recipes are an integral part of Indian cooking. It is a versatile dairy product and is used in an assortment of Indian curries, snacks and many sweets.
A unique paneer curry
For preparing paneer tikka masala, the soft and juicy paneer pieces are marinated in a spiced yogurt paste along with vegetables like onions, capsicum (bell peppers) and tomatoes and then grilled which lends a unique charred & smoky flavor to the dish.
The near perfect combination of spiciness and creaminess of the gravy coupled with sautéd paneer cubes and veggies makes this dish sumptuous and a nice change from all other paneer curries.
Rich in nutrients
The main ingredient of the dish is paneer which is made from whole milk. It is rich in proteins and calcium, making it a good source of protein especially for the vegetarians.
The paneer cubes along with various other vegetables are then marinated in yogurt, increasing the nutrition value of the dish.
Paneer tikka masala goes very well with most Indian breads like roti, naan, tandoori roti, paratha etc. as well as with rice varieties like veg pulao, jeera rice or even plain rice.
To make Paneer Tikka Masala at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Kadai Paneer Gravy – gravy version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Butter Masala – paneer cooked in rich buttery gravy
- Matar Paneer – peas & paneer curry
- Dry Kadai Paneer – dry version of kadai paneer
- Paneer Makhani – paneer cooked in a buttery tomato gravy
- Paneer Capsicum Masala – paneer & capsicum in gravy
- Methi Malai Paneer – fenugreek & paneer curry
- Palak Paneer – paneer in spinach curry
- Malai Kofta – fried paneer dumplings in gravy
- Stuffed Tomato – paneer stuffed tomatoes in gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Paneer Recipes | 22 Easy Indian Paneer Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe
Ingredients For Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe
For Marinating the Paneer & Vegetables
- 250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onions
- 1/2 Cup Capsicum (Bell Peppers)
- 1/2 Cup Strained Yogurt (Curd) or Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1.5 Teaspoons Chaat Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or according to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
For the Gravy
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Yogurt (Curd)
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Tablespoon Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek leaves)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe
Preparing the paneer tikkas
- Strain yogurt in a muslin cloth to remove water. Alternatively you can use greek yogurt. Then beat the yogurt in a large mixing bowl.1/2 Cup Strained Yogurt (Curd) or Greek Yogurt
- Add ginger-garlic paste to the yogurt. Also add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, chaat masala and salt. You can also add 2 tablespoons of roasted besan (chickpea flour) to the yogurt.1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste, 1/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder), 1.5 Teaspoons Chaat Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or according to taste
- Mix all the contents. Whisk until smooth. Add a dash of fresh lemon juice and a few drops of oil.1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Dice the paneer into 1/2 inch thick cubes. Remove the seeds from the capsicum. Dice the onions and capsicum (bell peppers) into 1/2 inch squares.250 gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese), 1/2 Cup Diced Onions, 1/2 Cup Capsicum (Bell Peppers)
- Mix well to coat the paneer and vegetables with the spicy yogurt paste. Cover the bowl and let the paneer marinate for 20-30 minutes.
- Brush oil on a hot pan or tawa. Place these marinated paneer and vegetable pieces on the pan or tawa. Brush some more oil on the top.
- When the paneer has cooked from the bottom, turn the pieces to cook them on all sides till they turn golden in color. The paneer and the vegetables should get slightly charred.
Preparing the curry
- Now we will make the curry for the paneer tikka masala. Heat of oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds along with a pinch of asafoetida.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil, 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- When the seeds start to crackle, add the chopped onions, crushed garlic pods and chopped ginger. Fry till the onions turn golden brown in color.1 Medium Sized Onion, 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- Chop or puree the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Saute on medium flame till the tomatoes are cooked, around 4-5 minutes.2 Large Tomatoes
- Add the spices like turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Pour a tablespoon of curd and cook for another couple of minutes.1 Tablespoon Yogurt (Curd)
- Add water to adjust the consistency of the gravy and boil the curry for a minute. Add kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) to the gravy.1 Tablespoon Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek leaves)
- When the gravy turns thick, add the grilled paneer and vegetables in the gravy.
- Mix everything well and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Paneer tikka masala is ready. Garnish it with freshly cut coriander leaves (hara dhania). Serve paneer tikka masala hot with butter naan, plain paratha, roti or jeera rice.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.