Veggie burger is loaded with a fine blend of fresh vegetables, mashed potatoes & flavored with Indian spices. This delicious mixed vegetables and potato patties (aloo tikki) are then sandwiched in a soft bun.
The spicy & crispy Indian patty along with a delicious tangy dressing makes this veggie burger a treat to the taste buds.
This veg aloo tikki burger can serve as a quick meal and is also a good idea for kids lunch box or as a snack after school hours.
Fried potatoes are favorite all over the world and Indian people’s love for potato cutlets and patties (aloo tikkis) is well known. Thus adding these potato patties to a soft lightly toasted burger bun has been an instant hit.
A healthier alternative to restaurant burgers
A fresh Vegetable Burger made at home is a healthier option than the ones available at fast food outlets. The homemade burgers can be loaded with more vegetables and is low in sodium.
Generally in restaurants, veggie burgers are available with only Potato based patties but we prefer the version with extra vegetables for more nutrition, better texture and moistness which makes them more relishing.
To make Veggie Burger at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
- Carrot Recipes | List of 30 Indian Gajar Recipes
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Veggie Burger Recipe | Veg Aloo Tikki Burger
Ingredients For Veggie Burger Recipe | Veg Aloo Tikki Burger
For the patty
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 1 Medium Sized Onion
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- 1/2 Cup Carrots (Gajar)
- 1/2 Cup Green Beans
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (Kali Mirchi)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs or Panko
- 2 Tablespoon Maida (Plain flour)
- 1/3 Cup Cooking Oil
For the dressing
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt or to taste
For assembling the burger
- 6 Burger Buns
- 6 Lettuce Leaves
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
Step By Step Instructions for Veggie Burger Recipe | Veg Aloo Tikki Burger
Preparing the patty mixture
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add finely chopped onions to it. Saute till they are cooked and golden brown in color.1 Medium Sized Onion
- Add chopped potatoes, carrots, french beans and green peas to the pan. You can also add other vegetables of your choice like cauliflower, corn or capsicum (bell peppers).3 Large Potatoes, 1/2 Cup Carrots (Gajar), 1/2 Cup Green Beans, 1/2 Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or till the vegetables become tender, stirring occasionally in between.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala, black pepper and salt to the vegetables.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala, 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (Kali Mirchi), 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Use a masher to mash and mix the vegetables.
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- Add 1/4th cup breadcrumbs or panko to the vegetable mixture for absorbing some of the moisture. Mix well and let the mixture cool down.
Frying the patty
- Spread the rest if the breadcrumbs on a plate in a thin even layer.1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Mix maida (plain flour) with some water to made a batter of thick coating consistency.2 Tablespoon Maida (Plain flour)
- When the vegetable mixture has cooled down enough for handling, divide it into 8-10 equally sized portions. Gently roll each portion into a ball and then flatten it out to make a thick patty around 1/2 inch in thickness. You can use your bun as a reference for the diameter of your patty.
- Dip each patty into the maida batter to cover it completely.
- Then place the patty on the breadcrumbs and coat it completely on all sides. You can repeat this process of dipping into the batter and breadcrumbs again if you want, to makes the patty extra crispy when frying.
- Gently press the breadcrumbs into the patty and shape it with your hands. Make all the patties this way.
- Heat some oil in pan. I have shallow fried the patties, but you can also deep fry them. When the oil is hot place the patty in the pan and cook for a 30-40 seconds or till is golden brown.1/3 Cup Cooking Oil
- Flip the patty gently and cook the other side till both sides are cooked and crispy. Finish cooking all the patties this way.
Making the dressing
- Now to make the dressing for the burger, add mayonnaise, chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and garlic powder to a small mixing bowl. You can also add some salt if your chilli sauce doesn't already have it.1/4 Cup Vegan Mayonnaise, 1 Tablespoon Chilli Sauce, 1 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup, 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Mix all the ingredients to make a smooth dressing.
Assembling the burger
- Cut the burger bun horizontally from the middle and then slightly toast the buns.
- Spread the dressing on the lower bun in a thick even layer.
- Place 4-5 lettuce leaves on the bun.
- Then place the fried patty onto the lettuce.
- Slice the onion into discs and place 1-2 of them on top of the patty.
- Lastly place a slice of tomato and cover with a bun on the top. If you want you can apply some of the dressing on the top bun as well.
- Put a toothpick in the middle to hold everything together. Serve hot with French Fries or a Green Salad.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.