Malpua is a delectable pancake recipe made from refined flour and semolina. It is then deep fried in clarified butter (Desi Ghee) and dunked in flavored sugar syrup (Chashni).
Malpua is a truly traditional Indian Dessert which is very popular and extremely irresistible. While Malpua is popular all over the Indian subcontinent as a sweet dish, it also serves as special sweet on occasion of festivals.
It is a very popular dish in the Indian state of Odisha and is served as morning food to Lord Jagannath of Puri. It is also a popular sweet during Muslim festival of Eid in the Indian subcontinent.
Malpuas dipped in a flavored sugar syrup are an extremely indulgent sweet. They go very well when served with a topping of creamy Rabri (sweet thickened milk).
To make Malpua at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Suggested recipe collections :
Malpua Recipe | Easy Homemade Malpua
Ingredients For Malpua Recipe | Easy Homemade Malpua
For the Pancakes
- 1 Cup Maida (Plain Flour / All Purpose Flour)
- 2 Teaspoons Sooji (Rava / Semolina)
- 2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
- 3 Slices Bread
- 1/2 Teaspoon Green Cardamom Powder (Hari Elaichi Powder)
- 2 Tablespoons Pistachios (Pista) finely sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Almonds (Baadam) finely sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Ghee (Clarified Butter)
For the Sugar Syrup
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 4 Green Cardamom Powder (Hari Elaichi Powder)
- 5-6 Saffron Strands (Kesar)
Step By Step Instructions for Malpua Recipe | Easy Homemade Malpua
Preparing the malpua batter
- Take Plain Flour (Maida) in a working bowl.
- Add Semolina (Sooji) and Powdered Sugar to the bowl.
- Mix all these dry ingredients well. Add water in desired quantity to make a batter of smooth consistency. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- Take 3 slices of white bread and crumble them in a food processor. Bread here is used as a substitute of yeast for fermentation. Add this crumbled bread to the batter, mix well and leave it aside for 15 minutes to allow fermentation.
Preparing the sugar syrup
- In the meantime you can prepare the Sugar Syrup. Take a pan with broad base. Add 1/4 cup water to it and keep it on the flame. Add sugar to the water and heat it for 6-7 minutes to get a sugar syrup of flowing consistency.
- Take the syrup off the flame and add Saffron Strands (Kesar).
- Remove the skin from 4-5 pieces of Green Cardamom (Elaichi) and crush the inner seeds.
- Add the crushed Green Cardamom to the syrup. Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.
Frying the malpua
- Take a Pan (Kadai) and heat 3 spoons of Clarified Butter (Ghee) in it. When hot pour 1 big spoon of the pancake batter into it. This pouring should take place in center of the pan and should be from a little height and also bit spread out to about a 2 inch circle as shown in the picture below.
- Allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes and flip to the other side.
- Repeat flip till both sides become golden brown in color.
Assembling & serving
- Dip the cooked pancakes in the sugar syrup.
- Malpua is ready. Take them out of sugar syrup and place on plate. Garnish them with finely chopped Almonds and Pistachios and serve hot.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.