Aloo beans or aloo phali ki sabzi is a mildly spicy curry made of french beans cooked with potatoes.
This dry mix vegetable is a quick and easy recipe which can be made when you are short of time. This recipe does not require onions or garlic, so it takes very little time to prepare.
Rich in nutrients
Beans are a rich source of protein, complex carbohydrates, folate, and iron. Beans also have significant amounts of fibre and soluble fibre which can help lower blood cholesterol.
Since this recipe uses no milk products it’s also a great option for vegans to include healthy foods in their diet.
It is a simple recipe that doesn’t require too much time to prepare. This simple stir fry recipe is healthy and goes very well in the main course along with dal and chapatis or other Indian breads.
Aloo Beans is also a filling and delicious side dish to accompany a combination of rice along with dal or sambar. Apart from these combinations, as Aloo beans is a dry vegetable, many times in the absence of dal or sambar it can nicely go along with a cooling and comforting accompaniment like raita.
To make aloo beans curry at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Aloo gobi – cauliflower & potato curry
- Aloo capsicum – bell pepper & potato curry
- Aloo patta gobi – cabbage potato curry
- Aloo bhindi – okra & potato curry
- Aloo methi – potato & fenugreek leaves curry
- Aloo tamatar – potatoes cooked in a fresh tomato gravy
- Aloo choliya – potatoes & green peas gravy
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Beans Recipe | Potato & French Beans
Ingredients For Aloo Beans Recipe | Potato & French Beans
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 250 gm French Beans
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Beans Recipe | Potato & French Beans
- Heat some oil in a pan or kadai. Add some cumin seeds (jeera) to it. Fry till they start to splutter. Also add a pinch of heeng (asafoetida).1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/8 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- Add diced potatoes to the pan. Fry them for 3-4 minutes till they start to brown very slightly.3 Large Potatoes
- Now add chopped green beans to the pan.250 gm French Beans
- Now add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.1/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes till the potatoes and beans are cooked. Then sprinkle garam masala powder on top.1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- Mix everything well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Aloo beans is ready. Serve it hot with any Indian bread like roti or on the side of dal rice
Before You Go...
Don't forget to Pin this post to save it for later. You can also Subscribe to our mailing list or follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter to see more delicious food recipes.
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.
27 thoughts on “Aloo Beans Recipe | Potato & French Beans”
Hi. Thank you for the perfect North Indian Sabzi. Was searching the internet for such dry sabzi recipes and I came across yours.
During my school days, we had a caterer who would supply chapathi with sabzi. It would look simple yet delicious.
I craved for that recipe and I believe my search ends here. Thanks again for the super quick and easy recipe.
Made it twice already. Easy? Quick and Delicious.
It’s the best isn’t it. My go to with any curry!!
Thanks Gowthami for your very kind words, glad you liked the recipe 🙂
I need to double or triple (6 cups green beans) the recipe. Just need to know if I keep the spice ratio the same and up each of the ingredients or which spice should I not increase. Dinner guests are coming and I’ve not tried this before – but diving right in. Thx!
You can just increase the spice quantities slightly – 1/2 tsp Turmeric, 3/4th tsp Red chilli Powder, 1.5 tsp Coriander. Garam Masala you can keep same quantity.
Thank you for sharing this recipe. Been trying to cook this for some time and your recipe was just perfect
Thanks Alex, happy that it came out well 🙂
I just started living by myself with zero experience in cooking, this recipe has been my life saver!! Perfect each time
That’s awesome Meya!! Glad to hear that 😀
Hello, we made this and it came out really tasty… Thanks for sharing😊
Awesome, thanks for letting us know. So happy that you gave this a try! Feel free to try rest of the recipes too 🙂
I agree, potatoes were perfectly cooked, I have cooked this several times now and we love it, thank you
Glad that you liked it Shazarr 🙂
Potatoes don’t cook in 10 – 15 minutes. No mention of adding water to help them cook too
Hey Kiran, the potatoes need to be slightly fried before adding the beans till they start browning on the edges. Then you can cook potatoes & beans together covered with a lid for 10-15 minutes till they are soft. This is a stir fried vegetable dish, so you wouldn’t need to add any water.
A simple preparation but so tasty. Loved it with phulkas.
Thanks Winnie, this is indeed a quick and easy preparation and is great for a simple meal.
I loved this dish! Tried it for the first time.. it came out amazing! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Thank you! Do try more recipes from the blog and let us know how they turn out.
Thank you Sir.These article is mind blowing.I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for the very clear and delicious receipe . I could not believe how fast it cooked. I loved it.
Thanks Sue. Happy that you liked it! 🙂
Hi there! This looks like a great recipe and I’m gonna try it. V clear pics and instructions, great post!
Thanks for the positive feedback Bill ! Do let me know how it turns out 🙂
Thank u fr d receipe ..i tried it ..n my baby loved it …thank u so much ….delicious
Thanks a lot Amrutha! Glad you liked it. 🙂