Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk or Potato Cauliflower and Fenugreek Leaves Curry is traditionally a Sindhi delicacy. It is a dry spiced curry made by fried potato wedges and cauliflower florets (Gobi).
The dish gets an amazing dash of flavor from the addition of Fenugreek Leaves (Methi) and various spices. The bitter taste of Methi is perfectly balanced by the tanginess of Chaat Masala and Amchur (Dry Mango Powder). Also, the peels of the potatoes are not removed in this dish, which results in crispy delicious fried wedges It is a very simple recipe and contains no onion or garlic.
The traditional recipe for making Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk calls for deep frying the potatoes and cauliflower florets. To make it healthier, I have just shallow fried the vegetables. You can also steam the vegetables till they are half cooked and then fry them.
To make Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Suggested Recipe Collections :
- Indian Vegetarian Curries | A collection of 29 Indian Gravy Recipes
- Dry Vegetable Recipes | 15 Indian Sabzi Recipes | Sookhi Subzi
- Potato Recipes | 31 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
Category: Main Course
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk Recipe
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1 Cup Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)
- 1-2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch), finely chopped
- ~1/2 Inch Piece of Ginger, grated
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 Teaspoon Rock Salt (Kala Namak), or according to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk Recipe
Thoroughly wash & slice the potatoes into wedges without removing their peel.
Heat some oil in a pan & shallow fry the potatoes till they turn light golden brown. Set the fried potatoes aside.
In the same pan add small cauliflower florets.
Fry them till they start turning brown. Set these aside as well.
Add a little more oil to the pan if required. When it gets hot, add cumin seeds & asafoetida (heeng).
When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add ginger and green chillies paste.
Finely chop the Fenugreek Leaves (Methi) and add them to the pan. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Then add the fried potato wedges and cauliflower florets to the pan and mix them with the fenugreek leaves.
Add Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Chaat Masala, Amchur Powder and Black Salt and mix well to coat.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook for around 7-8 minutes till the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked. You can add very little water also if required, but the curry should be dry in the end.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.