Methi Matar Malai is a very popular North Indian recipe made with fenugreek leaves (methi) and peas cooked in a soft and creamy gravy.
Methi malai matar gravy has a smooth and delicate texture due to the addition of cream. You can also add paste of cashews and almonds to increase the richness of the recipe.
I have not added onion or tomatoes in this recipe, but you can add them if you want. They change the taste of the gravy slightly, but it still tastes quite good.
Methi Malai Matar is a delicious curry that goes very well with any Indian bread like roti, parathas, puri or naan. It can also be served with any rice dish.
This dish is also quite healthy since it is made of methi (fenugreek leaves) & peas. Fenugreek leaves have amazing medicinal properties and help in reducing cholesterol and controlling diabetes.
To make Methi Matar Malai at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Methi Malai Paneer
- Aloo Methi
- Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk
- Palak Matar
- Matar Paneer
- Palak Paneer
Suggested recipe collections :
- Methi Recipes | 7 Indian Fenugreek Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Methi Matar Malai Recipe | Fenugreek & Peas Curry
Ingredients For Methi Matar Malai Recipe | Fenugreek & Peas Curry
- 1 Bunch (250gm) Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Cup Matar/Peas
- 2-3 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 Cup Malai or Whipping Cream (unsweetened)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Methi Matar Malai Recipe | Fenugreek & Peas Curry
- Gather all the ingredients. Chop the green chillies, ginger and methi leaves. Add water in a pot along with 1 tsp salt and boil the peas. Alternately, you can also boil the peas in a microwave oven.1 Bunch (250gm) Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves, 2-3 Green Chillies, finely chopped, 2 Tablespoon Ginger, grated or finely chopped, 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 1 Cup Matar/Peas
- Add oil in a pan and roast the cumin seeds.1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- When they start crackling, add finely chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Then add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste, 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Add the methi leaves and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- When they start leaving water add the peas and cook it for 6-7 minutes.
- Add malai and mix thoroughly.1 Cup Malai or Whipping Cream (unsweetened)
- Methi Matar Malai is ready. Serve it hot with roti or paratha.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.