Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi is a simple, comforting and easy to make dish which is regularly cooked in North Indian households. It is made by cooking potatoes in a simple tomato curry.
It is not only flavorful and delicious, but it is also a quick fix solution when short of time or when short of vegetables in the kitchen.
Aloo tamatar ki sabzi can truly claim to be one of the most popular curries of North India and the best part of it is that it goes very well with a variety of Indian breads.
As with any spicy potato dish, the best fit to this delicious sabji is of course plain pooris, bedmi pooris, dal poori, masala poori etc. Aloo tamatar ki sabzi is enjoyed equally well with paratha or roti/chapatis. This sabzi can also be served with plain steamed rice.
Another good thing about this dish is that you can make the curry of the desired consistency as per your preference. This curry is a common part of food served in Indian marriages and ceremonies. This recipe is also common during Navratras as it has no onion and garlic.
To make Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
- Dahi Aloo – potatoes cooked in a yogurt gravy
- Dum Aloo Recipe – kashmiri dum aloo
- Aloo Choliya – potato & green peas curry
- Aloo Palak Gravy – potato & spinach curry
- Aloo Gobi – potato cauliflower curry
- Aloo Patta Gobhi – potato & cabbage curry
- Aloo Capsicum – potato & capsicum curry
Suggested recipe collections :
- Potato Recipes | 37 Veg Indian Potato Dishes | Aloo Recipes
- Indian Curry Recipes | List of 32 Indian Vegetarian Gravies
- Indian Sabzi Recipes | 20 Dry Vegetables | Sookhi Sabji
Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi Recipe | Potato & Tomato Curry
Ingredients For Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi Recipe | Potato & Tomato Curry
- 3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 3 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (Namak) or as per taste
- 1 Inch Ginger (Adrak)
- 1-2 Green Chili cut into pieces (Hari Mirch)
- 5-6 Curry Tree Leaves (Curry Patta leaves)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 8-10 Fresh Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 1.5 Cups Water
Step By Step Instructions for Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi Recipe | Potato & Tomato Curry
- Heat some oil in a small pressure cooker (optionally, you can also use a pan with a lid if you are using boiled potatoes). Add mustard seeds (rai) to the cooker. When they start to crackle, add cumin seeds (jeera). Fry the cumin seeds for a few seconds till they start to splutter. Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).1/2 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (Rai), 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/4 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Heeng)
- Turn the flame to low and add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli Powder and coriander powder (dhania powder), garam masala and salt. Make sure that the flame is low as these spices will otherwise get burnt in hot oil.1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder), 1/4 Teaspoon Garam Masala, 1 Teaspoon Salt (Namak) or as per taste
- Also add a few curry leaves (curry patta) along with finely chopped pieces of ginger (adrak) and green chilies (hari mirch).1 Inch Ginger (Adrak), 5-6 Curry Tree Leaves (Curry Patta leaves), 1-2 Green Chili cut into pieces (Hari Mirch)
- Now add chopped pieces of Tomato or tomato puree.3 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- Sauté till the tomato pieces become soft and you can see oil leaving the sides.
- Add chopped potatoes (about one inch size) followed by 1 1/2 cup or 1 glass of water. Mix well and cook till you get one whistle of pressure cooker. Allow some time to cool so that steam escapes from the pressure cooker and the lid can be safely opened.3 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) and also garnish with fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya). Optionally a teaspoon of milk cream can be added to give a rich look to the curry. Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi is ready. Serve it hot with roti, paratha or pooris.1/4 Teaspoon Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi), 8-10 Fresh Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.