Besan Cheela are spiced pancakes made from gram flour (besan) mixed with onion, tomato, coriander and various spices.
Besan Cheela are quite delicious and can be made quickly because of very few simple ingredients. It can be made as a quick evening snack, a light dinner or as a fulfilling and healthy breakfast.
Apart from the usual add-ons like tomato and onion, few other vegetables like lauki (bottle gourd), pureed peas or grated paneer can also be added to besan cheela.
A healthy breakfast option
Besan (Gram flour) is very healthy flour with good amount of protein and being low in calories is also suited for diabetics.
Besan Cheela is a relatively healthier alternative to deep fried things made from besan like pakoras (fritters made from Gram flour) or bread pakoras.
Besan cheela tastes best when served hot with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup. It is also a great option for children’s school lunch boxes.
To make Besan Cheela at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
See more related recipes like:
Besan Cheela Recipe
* Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for more videos.
Ingredients For Besan Cheela Recipe
- 1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Cilantro or Dhaniya)
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 2 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
Step By Step Instructions for Besan Cheela Recipe
- Take besan (gram flour) in a large mixing bowl.1 Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- Add 1/4 cup of water gradually while stirring it to remove any lumps.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chopped green chillies, saunf (fennel seeds) and garlic-ginger paste to the mixture.1 Teaspoon Saunf (Fennel Seeds), 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi), 1 Tablespoon Ginger-garlic paste
- Additionally put chopped onion and tomato into the bowl.
- Finally add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Add around 1/2 cup of water slowly to create a thin batter.
- Pour 2 large spoons of batter on a hot oiled pan.
- Wait for around 30-40 seconds while the bottom side cooks, then flip the pancake.
- Let the other side cook as well for a minute. It will be cooked when small brown dots start appearing.
- Besan Cheela is ready. Serve it hot with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.
Before You Go...
We'd love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #vegecravings.